Thursday, January 9, 2014

[Prompt] - Blink Once

Prompt: "Write a poem about someone experiencing locked-in syndrome and watching their SO pull the plug." -Chris Fratz


You know force of will
It's the extra bullet in the empty clip
When John McClane shouldn't be able to fight anymore
But does
When Steve Rogers shouldn't be able to handle the serum
But does
When Beatrix Kiddo shouldn't be able to wiggle her big toe
But does
When I should be able to blink at you
But I can't


And I
Try?
Is it trying if it's nothing
But electricity on dead wires?
We'll say I tried, Rebecca
It makes a better story
For the kids
Daddy did his best
Daddy tried real hard

No wait
Listen
Maybe if I can just
They're making new machines, okay
You're supposed to wait
YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO WAIT
I CAN FIX THIS
LISTEN
I'LL BLINK ONCE
THIS TIME I'LL OPEN MY


(Timed: 7 minutes)

No comments:

Post a Comment