Wednesday, January 8, 2014

[Prompt] - Tiny Suicides

Prompt: "Write a poem about winter without using the words cold or snow" - Michael Oakley

Added Restrictions: Never reference the cold, snow, or seasons, even obliquely. The season can be gleaned by inference only. 


Tiny Suicides

It's always brighter than I remember,
When it's bright at all
I remember the lake's timbre
When it cracks and heaves,
Even though I don't walk by it
I drive now -
Windows and radio at terminal height -
By your grave
Remember the way it split
Along giant spider ways
And we'd dare each other
To jump?
Tiny suicides on a big mirror
Loud giggles on a quiet park

It was too bright sometimes then as well
Light was too low
One big star making tiny suicides
On a pale sky
And it watched us watch it
On the big broken mirror

Remember when the leaves came back?
The broken mirror
Was made whole
And the big star
And you
Made big suicides
Together
While I stayed inside

No comments:

Post a Comment