Thursday, January 16, 2014

[Prompt] - Salvage

Prompt: "A poem about a therapist, walking home from work and thinking about his or her day." - Michael Patrick Oakley


Salvage

Sometimes
I wish I kept track
On a little scoresheet
Wins v. Losses
Like a sociopath would do
Just so I could see how much higher
The former
And just how few
The latter

You can only do your best
And who can blame you?
Don't worry, I'll handle that
Because someone else's best
Is better
Or could be better, right?

Tell me about my childhood
Fascinating
Human worries, human thoughts
My diagnosis is clear
I'm a person, it seems
And there's not a Goddamn thing
I can do to change that
But be the kind of person
Someone needs
When they can't take it anymore
When they're crashing
Trapped in the fuselage of their downed life
And sometimes I get them out
And sometimes I don't

And sometimes I don't
But sometimes
Sometimes when they're pinned
Beneath a hundred tons of smoking wreckage
And their body doesn't work any more
And their lungs are filled with the smoke
Of immolating hope

I get them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment