Sunday, January 19, 2014

[Prompt] - Carnival


Prompt: "The first person account of a summer carnival at night but slowly we learn that the speaker is crazy, and actually exploring an abandoned carnival in winter." - Adam Clarke


Carnival

Oh my God, it's all so bright!
Sweetie, remember all the winter nights
We ached for all the smells and sights,
The cotton candy and the Ferris lights?

You look positively gorgeous, dear,
With that halo shine behind your ears
From the neon flashing off the mirrors
And I don't know why the cough won't disappear. It's been a month now, I really think you should see someone. I'm not being paranoid, I just don't like seeing you like this, I want to see that wild smile I've waited for all year.

The sun has shined away the wind and snow!
And I love the way it makes you glow
Yeah, just wrap up your mouth and nose. You can't afford to get sick, not as weak as you've been. One thing leads to another, and we still don't know what's wrong. They said you should take it easy at least until the tests come back. Yes, it's ten below and oh you want some funnel cake, I know, I know!

After that I'll win you a big fluffy prize
I promise! I know that look in your eyes, you get when you're waiting for bad news and you put on this immovable front, like if you remain stoic enough, the news won't be real, like you could deflect it with enough stone and mortar. And now I'm the only one crying, because you can't even process that soon enough you won't be here with me, no matter how desolated your line of defense lies

No matter how much I wanted one more summer, there was

The cotton candy and the Ferris lights!
Lets just enjoy these smells and sights
And forget about all the winter nights.
Oh my God, it's all so bright!

No comments:

Post a Comment