Wednesday, January 8, 2014

[Prompt] - Mark My Words

Prompt: "A poem, mostly in monosyllables. It should also include two words of two syllables, three words of three and four of four." - Shaw Lee 

Added Restrictions: Place all polysyllabic words in two stanzas, flanked by three stanzas on either side of monosyllables. Place polysyllabic words in a [3/2,2/3 ; 4,4/3/4,4] format. 


Mark My Words 

Mark my words now
If you mark not one thing else:
This was all your fault.

Oh shock, of course.
Feign gasp and hiss
Feign rage at what you hear

What else could you do?
I will tell you,
If you will hear in lieu of shrieks:

You could remember the young prince
While he was screaming and I was cooing
That we swore him protection from the world

We swore him invincible crenelated walls
Battlements of stone and blood
And an amaranthine benediction

And now
He is dead
Or close, or near to

And you, the first name he spoke
Are no more help
Than the black tar was harm

So cry, I guess
If you have no more words
To make a case

For why you killed our son


[Timed: 2 hours]

No comments:

Post a Comment